Monday, December 3, 2012

Giving Thanks...

Life has been SO busy! The best part is that it all involves GOOD things. I worry about jinxing myself, but I'm SO thankful for a streak of good news!




Play, play, pass out!
Since our last post, we have closed on a home, began renovations and slowly fixing it up, I have started working my second maternity leave at the high school, and Finnegan has been flourishing.

Most importantly, Finnegan has been doing REALLY well. He received his 6 month shots and his first flu shot before Thanksgiving. To help remedy the frequent puking, Dr. Emm put him on Prevacid. Finnegan is happy because he gets his Prevacid with applesauce! Finnegan began to get used to his biweekly blood draws at the lab. The receptionists and nurses all knew me by my face, so I just had to wave and we would be checked in. The nurses looked forward to every Monday and Thursday when they would get to see Finnegan. The last two blood draws, he even giggled throughout the entire thing, the stick, draw and everything! The only time he cried was when I put them in the car seat. The nurses were just in awe of him! The best news came after his last blood draw last Thursday: Finn's CBC results had been awesome and his platelet counts had been trending in the right area, so we could discontinue labs for a couple weeks. They want us to go back for one more blood draw then to determine if he even needs any more!

Finnegan has another appointment with Dr. Emm in a couple weeks. At that appointment he will get the order for his followup immunology tests. Last week Finn had a followup EEG. Still waiting on results.

Today Finnegan went for a followup appointment with his neurosurgeon and had another MRI. Dr. Lin was SUPER happy with Finn's improvement. All the excess axial fluid had been resolved, so the shunt is doing what it needs to! The size of his ventricles is still a bit big, but the doctor thinks it might be his new baseline. He'll go back in March. On Thursday he goes back to see his regular neurologist, Dr. Taft.

He sees his physical and developmental therapists once a week. They are also so impressed with Finn. He still has a lot of work to do to catch up physically and developmentally, but he's already made so much progress! He is looking up, tracking toys and people as they move across the room, smiling when we talk to him, eating his hands, rubbing his eyes, giggling at toys/mobile when he sees them, and keeping his head up better. He still struggles with tummy time. The physical therapist has provided a wedge that puts him at an angle so he doesn't have all the gravity working against him. I am just so impressed with him. His is my inspiration.

In house news, we are slowly making improvements to make this house an amazing home. Our family is such an amazing help in all of this. I am astonished at all their talents and their graciousness. We have a bunch of projects in the works, and it's crazy being in between houses constantly, but it will all be worth it in the end! It helps that Finnegan is a little trooper and just goes with the flow (most of the time!).






I started my second maternity leave at the high school last week. By the end of this year, I will have taught almost every English class at Bloomington High School! After over 75 jobs applied to since May, I have my first SECOND interview this week. I am super excited for this interview and even more excited about the job itself. Keep your fingers crossed for me and our family! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment