Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday, July 19th: One happy family :)


Our little peanut is doing beautifully at home! He has had several doctor's appointments to follow-up and check-up on him. Last Friday he got to meet his pediatrician, Dr. Emm. He was completely blown away by how amazing Finn was doing considering he was 15 weeks early. Ian and I felt extremely blessed when we had to fill out his initial paperwork, because under previous medical history all we had to write was premature and a slight ileus. At the first appointment, Finnegan came in at 5lbs 11oz and just a tad shy of 18 inches long. He gained about 4 ounces in the 3 days since he left the NICU!

We also started working with a Family Care Case Manager from the McLean County Health Department. A nurse comes our to our house about every 2 months to do developmental and health checks on Finnegan. Because of his prematurity, Finn will probably be playing catch-up until he's about 2 years old. At his first visit on Wednesday, he was on target with basic developmental behaviors (holding your finger, startling with loud noises, and following with his eyes) and gained more weight! He weighed in at 6 pounds 2 ounces. Our little boy is growing so fast!

He is eating well and has even requested more food during several feedings. Yesterday, we started trying him with a "regular" flow nipple on his bottles because he was having some issues with collapsing the slow-flow nipple. He's quite the strong little boy! He's had a couple of baths and even seemed to enjoy the last one!

Finnegan had his follow-up appointment with the retinal surgeon (same eye doctor he saw in the NICU) today. I was a bit concerned because this was his first real time in public. When we walked into the waiting room and I was worried because it was super small and full of people. I quickly went to a corner with him, but that didn't stop a lot of cute older ladies coming to say hi. He's quite the popular little guy. His appointment went really well and he is done with this doctor! No signs of ROP and his eyes are progressing nicely! He has been referred to a pediatric opthamologist and will see him when he hits 6 months old.

Finnegan has been keeping us entertained with his funny noises and faces. He never ceases to put a smile on my face. Even at 4 in the morning when he refuses to go back to sleep after eating. He's just too cute for words.






This past weekend was super busy for us. Finnegan made his first road trip up north to visit family. On Friday evening, I went to my grandparent's anniversary dinner while Ian went to his parent's house with Finnegan. I got to see some family I hadn't seen in a while and eat some amazing food!


Me with my adorable niece and nephew at the gparent's anniversary dinner.

On Saturday, my cousin Katie had her high school graduation party. It was another fun day of lots of family and friends. Finnegan got to spend some quality time with his Aunt Jenny and the rest of his family. He especially found his cousins Matt and Kaylin amusing. While we were at the party, Finnegan spent most of his time napping in a room at my grandparent's house, but for a little bit of time, we took him out to eat. When he came out, people from my Aunt's neighborhood would just come up to see him "in person" since they've followed him on this blog since he was born. I was overwhelmed by all the people who prayed for Finnegan and our family. All these people whom I have never met, praying for our little baby. It's no wonder he's such a miracle baby; he had so many people praying for him.

Finn meets Aunt Jenny!
Our niece Kaylin playing with Papa (great grandpa)



Sunday was the next baby shower. The party was very low key, which was nice considering how hectic the first part of the weekend was. Finnegan was the star of the show. He slept during the whole thing, but that didn't stop all the ladies from oohing and aahing over his cuteness.

Four Generations! :)

Cousin Kaylin with Finnegan



Aunt Julie and Uncle Eddie holding Finnegan for the first time :)

I cannot begin to explain how wonderful it is to have our little bundle of joy home. That isn't to say that we don't miss parts of the NICU. Besides the help, I miss the amazing people that took care of us. I'm just grateful that we're still able to keep in touch with them! In fact, today we received a wonderful card in the mail. I'm sure it's something they send to everyone, but it was such a wonderful gesture, and it meant a lot!

It is so awesome seeing Finnegan with the family. Some of the men in my family still are a bit apprehensive to hold Finnegan due to his tiny size, but I'm sure once he's a bit bigger, they'll be fighting over him. Finnegan really liked his Aunt Jenny. They bonded and snuggled a lot over the weekend. It's really hard to have her and her family so far away (they live in Connecticut), but it does make us appreciate our time together that much more. I can't imagine what we would do without Skype!

On Tuesday, Jenny, Kaylin, and Matthew came to visit. Kaylin is one hysterical 3 year old! Her and Matthew just crack me up constantly. I can't wait until Finnegan is able to play with his cousins. We also had a visit from Brittany on Tuesday. All I can say about that... LOVE!

I love Finnegan a little more every day. Each day I see him growing and developing that much more. He has acquired a new nickname due to his eating habits and weight gain: "Chubs." Gotta love it! He's such an impressive little baby, and I'm blessed to call him my son.



Finnegan and Aunt Jenny <3
Kaylin got to hold her cousin! She was so excited!

Our little cutie pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment