Sunday, May 6, 2012

Saturday, May 5th: Finnegan is a rock star!


Christine-
I spent the whole day at home sleeping. It feels good. :) I know I need to be strong for my family, so I know I need to make sure to keep myself healthy and recovered fully! I must have needed all the sleep I got, because every time my head hit the pillow, I was out in a matter of minutes. Usually, it takes me a bit longer to fall asleep.

Ian came home for "linner" with steaks from the store. He marinaded them and cooked'em up nicely! It's amazing how much I really cherish our time together now. It's like every time we are together we just click. That's not to say that we didn't before, or that we don't fight, disagree, or otherwise annoy each other, but everything just seems that much more perfect since Finnegan came so abruptly into our lives. He has really brought us together in a way I didn't think was possible.

Because I'm doing well, and I'm almost at the 2 week mark since my surgery (when I will be able to drive!), Ian has "allowed me" (he keeps me honest. I probably would be miserable and not taking care of myself if it wasn't for him) to take the stairs 3 times a day if needed. So, after linner I went back up for another nap. When evening came around, Ian brought home Taco Bell in honor of Cinco de Mayo, then left to go back to Finnegan, and I went downstairs and continued watching the last season that Netflix has of Weeds. Such a hoot! While watching, I caught up on some news and played a couple of games on Facebook. It felt good to just relax. At that point, I believe if was around 11pm, I really started missing my baby. I hadn't seen his beautiful little face in about 30 hours. I went through the blog and looked at the plethora of pictures and even watched some of the videos for what feels like the hundreth time. I'm still amazed at how much he has changed since he was born. He is absolutely unbelieveable.

Ian - rounds were good this morning. We had a new doctor - Each month we get a new doctor who takes care of Finn on the weekdays; On the weekends they rotate who has rounds. This doctor said, "I'm sure you've heard this plenty of times, but he's a rock star!" He said that at this point if Finnegan were following the normal progression, they wouldn't be talking about things like a feeding schedule (he's halfway through his ramp up between getting more and more breast milk and less and less IV nutrition (TPN)) or things like weaning off of SiPAP because most babies would still be on a ventilator and receiving surfactant - neither of which Finn has ever needed. Finnegan is averaging 15ish bradys a day with a mix of needing mild stimulation, moderate stimulation, or some even self correct. The bradys aren't really a big deal as long as his oxygen saturation stays in good numbers - which it is. The bradys will stop happening as frequently as Finn ages. By 34 weeks gestation we can expect them to drop significantly and by 40 weeks he'll have just a few a day and by 44 weeks they'll stop altogether. Tomorrow Finnegan's IV comes out assuming he continues to do well on his feeding schedule. He rose slightly above his birth weight of 785. He had dropped down to 720 and now he's up to 795.

No comments:

Post a Comment