Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wednesday, May 9th: "I love you all your fingers and toes times bagillion"

Christine:
This morning Ian and I woke up and spent the morning laying around in bed. It felt nice to relax together and just be with one another without really talking about anything in particular. Once we finally got ourselves moving, we went to take my car in to Discount Tire so I could get my winter tire and wheels switched over. What I thought would be a simple switcheroo turned into an little bit more of an expensive trip, but it was well worth it! Apparently, two of my tires were close to having no tred left. As a result, I needed two new tires. Well, the company that made my other tires, changed designs to the treds were different. We ended up getting a credit on the existing tires and getting four new tires. I ate lunch at Moe's while I waited for my tires to be switched. Then, it was off to Peoria to be with my little man and hubby. It felt SO go to drive my car to Peoria with brand new tires. It felt good to drive, but the tires made it that much more wonderful! :)


Ian went to the hospital right after he dropped me off at Discount Tire so he could get to work (remotely), so I met him there when the car was done.

We were expecting to make rounds, since the past couple days rounds have happened in the late afternoon, but his "regular" doctor wasn't there, so another doctor took over rounds. They were finished with rounds before Ian and I even got out of bed! One of our favorite nurses took care of filling us in on rounds, though. He gained more weight, so he's not about 1lb 13.7oz. He had about 10 bradys yesterday, so they are keeping his cpap on the 15 breaths per minute. The goal is wean him off the cpap, but we don't want to take him off before he's ready. During his morning assessment, we were told that they detected what appears to be either a hernia or an undecended testicle. His nurse and Ian both think it looks more like a hernia. I immediately panicked a little, but the nurse assured us that it was normal for little babies to get hernias, and that the process for fixing it is very simple. Before he would go home, they would take him into surgery and remove his hernia while also circumsizing him at the same time. Lucky boy! We also learned that they are upping his food another mil to 16 from 15 and adding Vitamin B to his milk instead of giving him a multivitamin. Let's keep him growing strong!



Ian's mom and Aunt Cathy came for a visit later in the afternoon. I love seeing my mother-in-law interact with Finn. Between both sets of his grandparents, aunts and uncles, and great aunts and uncles, Finnegan will be one spoiled little boy. In my opinion, he deserves it! :)

During our visit, my favorite pair of flip-flops broke. I tried to mend them with some medical tape, and it worked temporarily, but my mother-in-law was so kind as to get me a new pair of flops when her and Aunt Cathy went to the gift shop. LOVE them! :)

After a while, we went to Ming's for dinner. I had been craving Chinese food, and the Ming's in Bloomington shut down. So, needless to say there is a bright side to being in Peoria! Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the Peoria Ming's. I primarily was disappointed because they didn't have sprinkles for ice cream. I mean, seriously! Regardless, we had an enjoyable dinner! :)

When we got back to the hospital, mom and Aunt Cathy left. Ian and I went back up to hang out with Finnegan for a while. Ian is having another corrective surgery tomorrow, so he won't be at the hospital to visit with his son for a couple of days; something I think he's not too happy with. While talking with Finn, Ian told him, "I love you all your fingers and toes, times a bagillion..." and he went on with a bunch of other "numbers" including "google," which I didn't realize was a number. Listening to Ian talk to Finnegan warms my heart every time. I can't believe how quickly Ian turned into a father, and a stinkin' good one at that! :)



Ian left after a while and I started working on some job applications and cover letters. I thought I would just pass out at 9pm, but I was so close to finishing The Help, so I decided to finish reading it to Finnegan during Kangaroo time. That hour and a half was one of the most amazing times I've spent with my little man. After we got situated, I started reading to him. As I read, I rubbed his little head. If I stopped reading or rubbing his head, he would open his eyes and look at me. He got to eat while we kangarooed, so I had to often times stop reading to make sure all his food was going down. He would open his eyes, and move his head around to look and see what was going on. I think he was looking for his daddy. He loves his daddy so much! It took everything I had not to cry for joy when he opened his eyes up for the first time while laying on my chest last night. He opened his little eyes, looked around a bit and stopped and stared at me for at least a minute. He's so beautiful! I was initially quite worried about kangarooing without Ian there, but it was a wonderful bonding moment with my little boy. A moment, I probably won't ever forget. We only got through about a chapter or so of The Help, but I finished it before I went to bed. I have to say, not a bad read! :)

I keep thinking about how much life has changed for us, and how much life will still change within the next couple of months. I'm not sure it's totally sunk in, but I know that God would never give us too much that we couldn't handle (thanks, Aunt Kim!).


He has really started keeping his eyes open for longer periods of time.
As you can also see, his cheeks have started to chunk! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment